Reading: John 18:1-27
Group discussion points:
- What is the context of John 18, and what do the other gospel accounts say happened in the garden before Jesus’ arrest?
- Why does John seem to miss thing out?
- Why was Judas needed by the religious leaders to betray Jesus?
- How does Jesus show that He is in control and not the men with swords and clubs? Why did Jesus tell Peter to put his sword away?
- Why is John the only one that mentions Peter and Malchus by name?
- Who was Annas and why was he important? Who was the other disciple that followed Jesus?
- What was Peter’s first mistake?
- Why did he deny Jesus (vs. 17)?
- What was illegal about Jesus trial by Annas, the chief priests, scribes
- What did Jesus’ response to the enquiry prove?
- Why does John mention that it was one of Malchus’ relatives that was questioning Peter?
- How many times did Peter deny Jesus?
- How do the other gospels describe his denials?
- What was Peter’s reaction after he heard the cock crow?
Personal points to chat about with God
- What do you do to avoid temptation?
- What do you do when you find yourself tempted?
- What should you do?
- How can you be more like Jesus in facing betrayal and trials?